Written by Sason Bishope Parry
San Francisco CA USA
PARADOX Media & Vau de Vire proudly present the 21st Anniversary Weekend of the internationally acclaimed Edwardian Ball! This year’s theme is REVIVAL! celebrating the delightful opportunity to once again come together at this beloved event. After many setbacks because of the pandemic shutdowns, fans can rejoice as the beloved Ball returns to San Francisco on Friday, February 4th & Saturday, February 5, 2022, for 2 days of festivities and fun and taking place at the beautiful Regency Ballroom located in the heart of San Francisco.
Born from a love of Edward Gorey – American author, Tony Award-winning costume designer, and artist noted for his dark, humorous, illustrated tales – The Edwardian Ball has blossomed over two decades from an underground nightclub soirée into a fully immersive, participant-driven festival of the arts. Attendees from all over the world are highly encouraged to step out of their everyday lives, to show up in costume and character, and to co-create a beautifully imagined “neo-Edwardian” world of creativity and whimsy. Music, theatre, circus, fine art, fashion, oddities, and ballroom dance mix and mingle in an imaginative setting, fostering a sense of place and connection.
Each year, Edwardian Ball co-hosts Rosin Coven and Vau de Vire Society choose a featured Gorey tale and bring it to life on stage with original scoring, choreography, and multi-media performance. This year’s featured story is The Wuggly Ump, a short, humorous tale of children at play and their eventual demise at the hands of a devious, mythical creature.
Taking place throughout three levels of the elegantly historic Regency Ballroom, the event presents a grand ballroom of dancing and performances, the Museum of Wonders featuring fine art, immersive performance, and cabinets of curiosity, and the elaborate Vendor Bazaar with over 50 carefully curated artisan vendors featuring one-of-a-kind fashion, art, and wares.
This year’s changes include:
- Reduced capacity by 50%, both nights – likely to sell out quickly!
- Offering two nights of The Edwardian Ball. The featured Edward Gorey story, ballroom dancing, and performances by founders Rosin Coven, Vau de Vire Society, Dark Garden, and more will happen both Friday and Saturday.
- Access to all areas of The Regency Ballroom, including the formerly VIP-only seated mezzanine.
- All Covid-19 protocols and regulations will be implemented, including proof of vaccination as a requirement for entry to the event.
The creators of The Edwardian Ball are absolutely thrilled and delighted to return after missing the event in 2021 and cannot wait for you to join them in reconnecting and reviving this beautifully imagined world together! Fans and patrons everywhere can expect nothing but the best in production, experience and new theme REVIVAL, as we go all out to bring the Ball to new heights after such a long hiatus.
The Edwardian Ball (Nights One & Two)
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 4th & SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 5th
Doors: 8:00 PM (ends at 2:00 AM)
$125-$145 • 50% Reduced Capacity • All Ages
Both nights of The Edwardian Ball will include:
- The Grand Ballroom with stage performances, ballroom dancing, kinetic and fine art, DJs, and self-serve portrait stations
- The Museum of Wonders in the Regency Lodge featuring art, oddities, pop-up performances, pipe organ, and stage shows
- The world-famous Vendor Bazaar in the Regency Social Hall
- Full bar & Absinthe cocktails for 21+
- Hot food menu available both nights
- Seating available on the Ballroom Mezzanine level (first-come, first-served basis, no reserved seating), ADA seating available on request
- A beautifully immersive environment co-created by all those that attend!
If you have never been to The Edwardian Ball, bring eye drops because you will forget to blink. It is an immersive collection of fairy tales, a choose your own adventure, and a festival of dark arts and fevered splendour.
Edwardian Ball Vendor Bazaar – Daytime Shopping
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 5th
Doors: 12:00 PM (ends at 5:00 PM)
Free • All Ages
For over 15 years, The Edwardian Ball Vendor Bazaar has presented over 50 carefully curated, artisan vendors. Attendees enjoy unfettered access to their creative delights – including fashion, haberdashery, accessories, oddities, and more. Anyone looking for vintage fashion, ballroom formal, vaudeville theatrical, circus, gothic, retro, elegant, Victorian, Edwardian, romantic, gilded and genteel or mystical and nonsensical, will find it within the Vendor Bazaar. Fitting rooms are available plus a full bar for 21+. All Ages welcome, admission free.